Friday, July 16, 2010

Coming out of the Witch-closet

I have lived here in Topeka now for about 2 years. It was mid September, 2008 when my family and I packed up from Lawrence and planted ourselves in Topeka. Immediately we tried to find a local Pagan connection like we had in Lawrence, such as The Village Witch.

We looked into our phone book and found nothing under "metaphysical", "Occult" or anything similar. We looked on "craigslist" and other online searches. Still, we found nothing but an old website talking about Pagan Pride Day which happened September 30, 2006 and seems to have not happened again since.

Frustrated, we abandoned our search of other like-minded individuals.

Fast forward to almost 2 years later and I have started writing for the Examiner.com. Suddenly, out of no-where my searches are becoming fruitful. A metaphysical shop downtown emerged one day that I had never seen before. A spirit fair connected me with herbalists. A chance meeting at the restaurant I work at introduced me to a studio where they do guided meditations, aura work and belly dancing. Driving home one day from work I see a Reiki studio. An online search connected me to an Interfaith Board member for the Pagan sect. Yet another search found a webgroup that occasionally gets together as a group locally. Was it the 2 years that I had waited to look again that brought the Pagans into my sight? Or perhaps it was I was ready to see them. I like to think of the latter. Each and every one of these groups were around 2 years ago, I just was not meant to see them.

I take this as a sign that I am on the right path. Everyday brings more and more people out of the witch-closet for me to find and see, for me to connect with. A blessing.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment